Saturday, April 20, 2013

Jeannie's Writing Assignment

Alright once again sorry for my lack of blogging. Life has been quite busy and I have been a bum and just haven't MADE the time which I think is the real issue in this situation. Anywho...my good friend Miss Jeannie Woller is working on a project and has been asking different people to write "their stories".  She gave different people different topics to write a story about and she happened to assign me "sad"...so I am supposed to write a story about the saddest moment in my life.

So here is my story...


As youth we tend to think we know it all.  We don't like taking instruction, we don't like when people tell us what to do, and we tend to think we understand what is going on.  We find ourselves being defiant solely for the purpose of not having/wanting to do what someone else tells us to do.  The biggest misunderstanding we have is the consequence of our actions or the repercussion of the incidents that happen in our lives...

Now if we turn the clock back 13 years we'll find ourselves in a tough spot, and by we I mean me. 

The year was 1999 and I was eight years old.  Things were going great, I got baptized to the LDS church in January, I was loving the 2nd grade, and it was a beautiful spring season in the month of April.  As an eight year old kid you don't have many worries in the world.  You go to school, play with friends, homework isn't even really a worry.  I had great friends in the neighborhood and spent most of my time on a bike, on the tramp, or just running around. Up to this point I had always lived a normal lifestyle.  Well how long does normal ever really last? Longer for some, but for me it was time for the road to take a turn. 

I don't remember much at this point, the only slim memories I have was my mom bringing my brother, my two sisters, and myself into a hospital room.  My mother has always been a happy person but she looked extremely troubled at this point.  She then said something to us kids and everyone instantly started crying.  This wasn't your typical "I'm sad" kind of  cry, it was a cry from deep within expressing deep pain and anguish.  The problem here was, I didn't understand what was going on.  They used words I had never heard before.  I realized though something was wrong, my dad was in the hospital bed and everyone was crying... so it had to be serious.  After some time, maybe weeks, I realized my dad was very sick. 

Six months after that day in the hospital bed my dad passed away.  He had stomach cancer and they had caught it too late.  Stomach cancer is different in that there is no options to stop it or delay the growth other than surgery to cut it out.  My father passed on leaving behind a wife and four children ages 17, 14, 12, and 8. 

Now to go back to the assignment...I am supposed to write a story about my saddest moment.  So, this is different then it actually seems...it goes back to the first point I brought up about how as children we really don't understand all that much. 

You could say my father passing away was the saddest moment of my life but it is really the repercussion that has been and will be the saddest.  It is sad for me and sad for him.  He has missed out on big moments of my life such as my 16th birthday, soccer and basketball games, state tournaments, graduation from high school, college soccer, college graduation, and in the future he'll miss my wedding, me having children, etc. etc.  It has been hard and sad for me that he hasn't and won't be there for the big moments of my life, but the saddest part of it all is that he isn't here for the day to day moments...I can't call him when I want to talk, he doesn't get to see me grow of the years, he doesn't get to experience the change and growth in my personality.  He won't be there to give me advice about dating or my children.  He won't get to be the grandpa for my children.  It isn't the moment that is the saddest...it is the overall experience throughout my life of not having my father around to experience life with and that he didn't get to experience life with me and his family.

No comments:

Post a Comment