Thursday, January 3, 2013

My little secret...

 I have a confession to make... 1. I love Harry Potter. Not to the extent where I reread it all the time and know every single fact and detail about it, but I do love it with my whole heart. 2. I've never seen Lord of the Rings...yup true story.  I've seen parts of one of them but I haven't ever watched one all the way through.

I did however watch "The Hobbit" today and I thought it was good.  Would I watch it repeatedly? Nope. But I enjoyed the movie overall.  There was one part I really liked....

“Saruman believes it is only great power that can hold evil in check, but that is not what I have found. I found it is the small everyday deeds of ordinary folk that keep the darkness at bay. Small acts of kindness and love."
-Gandalf

When I heard this quote I thought, "wow...that is SO true."  I mean if you really think about it, it is the small things in life that keep everything running.  Every small act of kindness, every good deed, every smile to a friend or stranger...they all add up in the end. 

I think too many of us are waiting for some giant miracle to fix everything, to right every wrong, to lighten all the darkness, but in reality that isn't the way it works.  How many times in your life have you experienced some GIANT MIRACULOUS moment or person with beyond power that just changed everything.  Ya I'm gonna bet that the majority of us would say we haven't had that. It was the small everyday moments when a coach said, "good job", parents said, "I'm proud of you" friends said, "how are you", a stranger smiled at you, someone showed a small act of service that was menial to them but extremely important to you...

It has been the small moments as mentioned that have added up overtime to keep the light in your life.  Think about it, there are THOUSANDS of different humanitarian groups helping the world. However there has never been just one group to change the world all together but each of those groups have helped to change the life of the individuals they interact with. 

As long as we have hope, love and light in our hearts, we will "keep the darkness at bay".  If we are willing to share that love and light, willing to serve those around us, the world will never darken. 

We need to stop thinking it takes some giant power to keep evil away (I mean unless we're talking about God or the Second Coming) and we need to stop waiting for some giant power to rid the evil from the world.  It is important that we continue to do the small things...it is and always has been the little things that keep the big things working.

~Do what YOU personally are capable of doing each day to spread love, to do small acts of kindness...it is just that that keeps the world running...that keeps us in the light rather than darkness~

1 comment:

  1. You've come to the right place. I can cure you of this "haven't ever watched one all the way through" disease that you speak of. Gandalf is the wisest of them all. You come close second though.

    ReplyDelete