Tuesday, December 18, 2012

Where does the real problem lie?

Resentment:
the feeling of displeasure or indignation at some act, remark, person, etc., regarded as causing injury or insult.
Resentment towards someone can be a tough thing to handle...but how does one handle it?  When someone is causing those feelings is it best to confront them and let them know how you feel?  Or is it best to just let it fester and build inside? ...I think the obvious answer SHOULD be to confront the issue.  Now I'm not necessarily talking about trivial things like not putting the toilet paper on the roll, or hair being left in the shower (which are frustrations that should be talked about", I am talking about real resentments towards friends or family. 
So many problems could so easily be solved if we would communicate our feelings.  How many times have you been upset with someone, upset by their actions or words, let it anger you deep down and then come to find out you completely misunderstood the motive behind what the person did or said.   
A young man made a good point today when talking about resentments.  Several people made comments as to why people don't confront others such as, "we can't nut up and say it", "sometimes we feel its easier to just hate the person", "when we hate others it takes away the hate we have for ourselves", and my personal favorite answer was, "we are afraid to confront others because we are afraid to face what we are doing wrong or what may be wrong with ourselves."  
I agree with that last one, it is easier to just blame others for the problem.  How easy is it to just point our fingers, to put the blame on the other party is definitely the path of least resistance...no one wants to face the problems they have within themselves.
Now don't get me wrong, I am bad with confrontations.  I don't like them and I avoid them...but I've realized it is important to confront the person.  They deserve a defense statement (cause more likely than not I am the one with the issue) and we deserve an answer as to what happened. 

Total communication with people in our life is the only way to POSITIVELY keep them in our life.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment