Thursday, December 20, 2012

We're In this Together

Alright so I had another busy night with paperwork which meant A LOT of movie watching.  One of the 4 movies I watched was "Life As We Know It".  

The main actors are having an argument and Messer (the main guy) says, "Having someone help you doesn't mean you failed, it means you're not in it alone."
 
My father passed away when I was 8 and my mother wasn't home much after that happened.  Whether or not I actually was, I felt like I was on my own at that point.  My siblings were busy with their lives and I felt like a burden to those around me, "oh I HAVE to give Kami a ride", or "oh I HAVE to watch Kami" (again let me remind you, this is all my perception as a child not actual feelings from those people) I felt like I wasn't "worth" someone's time so in turn I changed my mindset to "I don't need them, I can do it on my own". .  I never wanted to be viewed as needy or helpless and I wasn't determined to "be successful"...I was afraid of failing.

 Everyone has their reasoning for not allowing people to help...they are prideful, they don't want to feel like failures, they (think) they like the idea of having done it on their own, etc etc...In my case it is probably self doubt/pride, I guess at times I feel like I am not worth someone's investment and I can just do it on my own. Sometimes I feel like people feel OBLIGATED to help me, or be around me and I HATE that. If I were to let someone help me, then they would be putting an investment in me and I guess I don't always know if I am worth it? You'll probably often hear me saying, "only if you want to", or "really though, no pressure at all." ya...lets just say it is something I am working on that I've learned in my later years is super annoying to people.

We all enjoy the satisfaction of giving...well guys in order for you to give, someone has to accept.  We too need to accept the gifts from others, let others serve us, so they too can enjoy the feeling of giving.

 This is why we have loans, jobs, teams, etc...we are made to get through life together, as a unit.  The journey is a lot better with help from those around us.  Just because you had to ask for help along the way, or LET someone help you doesn't mean you failed.  It means you were bold enough to ask for help, you had enough guts to say, "Can you help me?".  Which in my eyes is a lot stronger of a person then someone who thinks they have to do everything on their own.  Humility triumphs pride every day of the week.

The world is too big and has too many problems for any one person to change the world or better yet, make it on their own.  We are meant/made to do it together.  I think we get so caught up on being successful and being THAT guy who was able to climb his way up from the bottom and make it on his own.  Hello we all know that it is not WHAT you know, it is WHO you know?  We were not put on earth TOGETHER to in turn do it ALONE. Humans are made to work off of one another, to rely on each other, this is how we grow together...this is how we succeed.



No comments:

Post a Comment