Sunday, December 9, 2012

Without Faith We Only Have Doubt

Okay so I'll be honest, I haven't had much of a desire to get out and "party" lately.  I spend a lot of my time participating in relaxing activities.  However tonight my friend Molli and I thought it'd be good to get out.  So we went to the basketball game and stayed for the whole thing. Yup you heard it, the WHOLE thing.  It was actually pretty fun.  Then Molli, Kendra, Trevor, Andrew and I went to Charlie's (ice cream parlor).  It was a blast, Charlie's is always a good fun time to hang out and chat with friends.  I love nothing more than my chocolate with brownies shake (but you have to have it made chunky).  And now for the best part of the night...we went to my house, got in our p.j.'s, turned on the Christmas lights, made some hot chocolate and popped in the classic, "Miracle on 34th Street".   It was so great to just lay by the Christmas tree and watch a movie.  That movie is just so great and really brings the Christmas spirit.

There is a scene, right before Kris Kringle is going to do an interview thing and he is in a room with Dori walker and they say...
Dorey Walker: I don't think that there's any harm in not believing in a figure that many do acknowledge to be a fiction.
Kris Kringle: Oh, but there is. I'm not just a whimsical figure who wears a charming suit and affects a jolly demeanor. You know, I... I... I'm a symbol. I'm a symbol of the human ability to be able to suppress the selfish and hateful tendencies that rule the major part of our lives. If... you can't believe, if you can't accept anything on faith, then you're doomed for a life dominated by doubt.

I absolutely loved this line.  It really is so true in the case of life.  Almost everything we do involves faith and trust in everyone around us.  Yes we will be let down, we will be disappointed, but if we don't give someone the chance to rise to the occasion, we will all be stuck.  It is the same thing when it comes to love and when it comes to God.  Dating is hard, being vulnerable and letting our hearts open can be very uncomfortable, but if we never open our hearts to the possibilities then we will live alone, in the dark.  The same goes with God.  We can't see Him as a being but you can see his work everywhere, it really is in every part of our lives.  If we don't have faith then all we have is doubt and darkness...what kind of life is that?  

You know what, in the end I may be wrong about it all.  I may be wrong about God, about the beauty in people, and about life in general....but in the end I will have lived a life full of light and faith which is much better than the horrible feeling of doubt and darkness.  Some may call this ignorance but I call it hope.  And hope truly is a way to bring you through the tough times you never imagined you could make it through...

Ha I guess I'll have to take my own advice then when it comes to dating...to be ok with fully opening up.  Heart break is terrible and it hurts both emotionally and physically at times, but the relationships are worth the lessons learned, growth, and fun times.

Well that is all for today. 

No comments:

Post a Comment